Melissajay Egan is a visual artist. She picked up the art of painting, drawing, print-media and installation throughout her experimentations in numerous studios and on the streets in different places including Canberra, NSW, Sydney, Melbourne, Berlin, Germany, Vienna. From her early stages she was highly influenced with German Expressionism and the art of Gerhard Richter, Mark Rothko, Egon Schiele, Gustav Klimt. Egan was at the Berlin University of the Arts in 2002 and Canberra School of Art where she was awarded EASS Award. She has been involved in festivals including the Melbourne Fringe Festival, Backbone Festival 2High Youth Art Festival QLD, and many group and solo exhibitions throughout Australia.
“I am interested to strongly impose my own sensibility to the world’s representation. I substitute to the visual object reality of my own image of this object, which I feel as an accurate representation of its real meaning.”
“I juxtapose the form with the fragment of the human face to explore the other side while looking at the front to show shifts and fragmentation while exploring the subject of portraiture.”
Melissajay also has interests in music and operates a studio for music production – passion for intense uplifting, melodic techno, hard techno, acid, acid techno, hip hop, jazz, fusion, drum and bass,, dub, hot twisted vocal. VIXEN
Artist in Residence, Watch This Space ARI , Alice Springs NT. June – September
Up and Coming Exhibitions
ONE PORTRAIT FORM TO FRAGMENT, (Foretaste of the Future solo show)
The Front, Canberra Oct 13 – 20
London, Paris and Amsterdam Studio Trip Oct 26 – Dec 16
ZIGZAG PORTRAITURE – part of group show ART IN MIND
Brick Lane Gallery, UK Nov 23 – Dec 6
1999 Saw the beginning of her artistic career and exhibitions
Intern Student Artist at Studio One, Canberra.
•Debut show Tuggeranong Arts Centre.
•Graduate top of the her art class at graduation
2000 Art School
•Melissajay was accepted straight away into the Print media and drawing department and the painting department. Here she was part of the painting, drawing, history, and digital groups.
2001 Field trips with various groups, part of the Environmental studio at CSA.
Field Trips continued with the Environmental Studio At CSA, which included working and exhibiting with Artist Mandy Martin.
2002 Travel to Germany and Austria where she produced work in Berlin and travelled to Kassel, Wippenberg, Hannover, Dresden, Munich, Dusseldorf, Kol and Vienna. Whilst in Berlin she was taught under Professor Lorbeer in the painting and drawing studio.
• Attended with the Berlin University of the Arts to Documenta 11 in Kassel. http://www.flickr.com/groups/documenta11
•Produced works in Berlin, the Loveparade “Access Peace”
• Code, ANCA Gallery, Canberra, ACT.
2003 Was her Honours year.
• Wrote her first artist thesis for a produced work.
• Awarded a Bachelor of Arts with Honours
• Awarded an ANU EASS Award
• At the graduation show her works were bought for the EASS ANU collection, and private collections.
• Resident artist at M16
• 190 Degrees, Graduating Exhibition, CSA, ANU, Canberra
• Land$cape: Gold & Water, School of Art Gallery, ANU, Canberra
• Land$cape: Gold & Water, Orange Regional Gallery, Orange NSW.
• The Lachlan: Blue – Gold, Grenfell, NSW.
• Published in 2003 The Lachlan: Blue-Gold, Edited by Mandy Martin and Sarah Ryan.
2005 She was exhibiting in Canberra and Wollongong
• Continued studies at the ANU, in Museum Studies and Art history and Curatorship.
• Gallery intern for the ANU Drill Hall Gallery.
•Resident in M16
• Her residency continued at M16, and also being part of M16 event.
• Producing works, exhibiting and organising events
• Melissajay was involved in workshops and exhibtions
• Producing works in her studio
• Was invited to exhibit in IN THE STUDIO: Canberra Artist at Work
• Moved to Melbourne
• Was involved in Artist Workshops, artist teaching
• She became involved with Sketch City exhibitions, events and art auctions and lived in the warehouse until it was shut down.
• She exhibited in De Havilland Gallery, Wollongong, NSW
• PAPER exhibition in M16 Artspace, Canberra
• SPACES BETWEEN PEOPLE at Tuggeranong Arts Centre, Canberra
• A group show at Brunswick Street gallery, Melbourne
• AN INVENTORY OF MENTAL ENCLOSURES, The Front, Canberra.
• In November Melissajay was invited to be part of the Backbone Powerhouse Museum Festival in Brisbane.
• November saw Melissajay’s Solo show TROLLEY PEOPLE, The Projects, Collingwood Melbourne Nov 18 -29
• FAD ANNUAL ART AUCTION/ EXHIBITION, Fad Gallery, Melbourne
2009 Inclusion in the Melbourne Fringe Festival, New works, Exhibions, organising events, and International shows
• BSG ART PRISE FINALIST EXHIBTION, Melbourne
• Melbourne Fringe Festival, INTO THE RED, Guildford Lane Gallery
• Fad Art Exhibiton/Auction, Fad Gallery, Melbourne
• THREE MELBOURNE ARTIST, McColloch Gallery, Melbourne
• Melissajay has work included in McColloch galleries collection
• Summer in the City, Guildfordlane Gallery, Melbourne January
• BSG Drawing Finalist Show, Melbourne
• ILLYA Glass Face, SOLO SHOW, BSG May 21-June 3
• Marie Drawing Prize Finalist Show, Jugglers Art Space, Brisbane, August 6 – 24
McCulloch Gallery, Melbourne
ANU Canberra School of Art, EASS Collection
Private Collections in Melbourne, Victoria, NSW, Sydney, Canberra